Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 14, 2012

Proverbs 16:24

Last week during prayer with the Lord he really laid Proverbs 16:24 on my heart.  One of the hardest parts of teaching in a public school is the inability to share the love of Jesus with my babies.  As a teacher you have to find creative ways to introduce your students to Biblical teaching without them, their parents or administration realizing that was your intent.  After reading Proverbs 16:24 I had an inspiration!

In the afternoons dismissal normally takes between 20-30 minutes for everyone to leave.  Obviously this makes instruction difficult so we have moved toward a "Family Meeting".  This is a time to discuss issues in our classroom, confront disrespect we have seen but also, the best part about Family Meeting is when we begin complimenting each other.

We discussed at first the difference between a genuine compliment and a fluff compliment, examples of each and what kind of compliment we would prefer.  My kids have since been complimenting each other on genuine personality traits & strengths.  Today for example, I was blown away when one of my more popular girls said, "I would like to compliment Jake.  He kept thinking of the answer even when he hadn't gotten it right the first time.  He kept going, I need to be more like that."

HOLY SMOKES Y'ALL.  These kids are 8 YEARS OLD.  And they are complimenting each other on perseverance, tolerance, respectfulness, work ethic & attitude.  Granted, they may not realize it but the fact is they are.  When one of my girls shared in family time her Dad is scheduled for deployment on Monday I had two other students flash the connection sign we use (See Move Your Body) and talk about how they recently have been through the same thing.  They gave advice, hugs & well-wishes.  I saw Proverbs 16:24 in action, in a 3rd grade classroom in Killeen, TX.  God knew exactly why I was hired after answering six questions, an hour away from my home.  He hand selected the 23 kids that sit in my class every-day and knew that the week of September 10th, 2012 I would learn more about kind & edifying words than I have ever learned through twenty two years of Sunday School, godly influences and church camps.

This week has revealed that you truly can serve the Lord wherever you are, whatever profession and in whatever way.  If a public school teacher can witness her kids live out Proverbs 16:24 in a day & age that we are seeing students arrested for bullying, suspended for verbal harassment and beat down by words than anyone can be a light for Christ.

Remember as you go about your day:
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul & healing to the bones" Proverbs 16:24


Buzz, Buzz
Ms. B

1 comment:

LinkWithin